House for Sale
601 West 6th Street
Thursday, June 22nd 5-7 pm & Sunday, June 25th 12-2pm
For more info, click on the open house flyer below
Madison Village Apartments – 406 North Main Street
1 Bedroom Elderly & Handicap Apartments
(402) 375-3374 or (800) 658-3126
For other rental properties or questions, please contact the City Office at (402) 454-3412
Blank Real Estate Agency
117 South Main Street
Madison, NE 68748
What is Fair Housing?
Fair Housing is the right for all people to have safe, decent housing and be able to get this housing without discrimination. City, State, and Federal Fair Housing Laws require that all people have an equal opportunity to buy, rent, or live in housing.
Fair Housing Act
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability). Please click here for additional information regarding Fair Housing Laws.
What Housing Is Covered?
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.
Who is protected?
The Federal Fair Housing Act ensures that individuals of similar income levels, in the same housing market, have equal housing choices regardless of:
- National Origin
- Familial Status
What is prohibited?
No matter the color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or familial status, no one may:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable
- Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for the sale or rental of a housing unit
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan
- Refuse to provide information regarding loans
- Impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different interest rates, points or fees
- Discriminate in appraising property
- Refuse to purchase a loan
- Set different terms or conditions for purchasing a loan Exercising Fair Housing Rights
- Threaten, coerce, intimidate or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others to exercise that right. Advertising
Advertise or make any statement that shows a limitation or preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or disability. This applies to single-family and owner-occupied housing that is otherwise exempt from the Fair Housing Act.
Fair Housing Representative:
City of Madison
PO Box 527
Madison, NE 68748
Phone: (402) 454-3412
Fax: (402) 454-2262